Simplifying banking through M-powering the worker using POSB jolly™
POSB has been at the forefront of availing banking services at affordable cost to all Singaporeans and migrant workers. In line with our mission of being a “People’s Bank”, the bank has a strong social purpose to support financial inclusion initiatives in Singapore.
In 2016, to better support the migrant workers, the team adopted a human centered design approach to uncover their needs and design solutions to embed ourselves in the customer’s journey.
The team uncovered key insights which led to the concept and development of a mobile proposition – POSB jolly™. Adoption of an agile mindset meant that the team could rapidly prototype, test and build a Minimum Viable Product to launch in the market within 8 months.
POSB jolly™ was launched in November 2016 as a mobile proposition for the migrant worker which embeds frequently used banking services into the customer journey with a touch of a button. It is the banking mobile application in Singapore to integrate banking, government and social agencies for the migrant workers’ segment.
Benefits observed include,
– Enhanced financial accessibility and convenience (Checking account balances with mobile phone instead of going to an ATM)
– Enhanced digital channel to drive additional revenue from prepaid mobile top-ups and remittance
– Deepen customer understanding through mobile app usage, transactional patterns and behaviors
– Collaboration with government agencies and partners to create a safe and inclusive digital experience for the migrant worker
As of 30th June 2017, POSB jolly™ registered 40,000 downloads in Google Play Store, of which 46% were on active user devices in the last 30 days.
• 1 million of Migrant Workers (MW) in SG (Foreign Domestic Workers, 25%, Construction 33%, Marine/Manufacturing/Services 45%)
• 400,000 accounts with POSB (excl. FDW), opened through MOM’s Work Permit Online portal (WPOL)
• Only bank offering holistic, low-cost proposition comprising of Payroll account, SMS Remit, dedicated ATMs at Dormitories and Branch (Kaki Bukit Recreation Centre).
Continually enhancing proposition:
2011 – Centralisation of WP account opening to Work Permit Account Service Centre at Hong Lim
2014 – Launch of Online Account Opening via MOM WPOL. Straight through process to open accounts
2015 – Deployed ATMs (funded by MOM) across 37 purpose built dorms
2015 – Enable SMS Banking and SMS remit
2016 – NETS utilisation campaigns to encourage cashless payments at dorms
2016 – POSB jolly™ launched to pull SMS Banking and SMS Remit together whilst removing language issues.
2017 – Collaborated with Telechoice / Starhub to preload POSB jolly™ and offer smartphones on Instalment Plan Purchase